Indonesia, Jakarta, JakartaSector:
Nonprofit/Community/Social Services/International CooperationRole:
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
IFC has embarked on an ambitious new growth strategy (IFC 3.0) to stimulate more investment activity, especially in Low Income Countries and Fragile and Conflict affected Situations. This strategy calls for generating our own opportunities by proactively working "Upstream" of a transaction to imagine, design and implement investment projects and transformational transactions. It also requires IFC to create, deepen, and expand markets including through engagement across the World Bank Group on policy reforms to unlock sector bottlenecks that prevent the flow of private capital into productive investment.
IFC is seeking a Senior Investment Officer for the "Upstream" unit in the Asia Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services ("MAS") industry group. The Upstream unit's remit is to create and develop projects and other bankable financing and investment opportunities for IFC and our partners.
The unit's activities focus on the "real sector" of the economy – which could include value-added manufacturing, decarbonisation, real estate and warehousing, climate investments, sustainable mobility/ electric vehicles, circular economy, e-commerce, agribusiness and related sectors/ themes.
The selected candidate will focus on developing and executing a high-quality Upstream pipeline in the Asia and Pacific region in one or more of the priority areas described above, under the supervision of the Regional Upstream Lead. S/he will also support policy work and other interventions across the World Bank Group to prioritize various initiatives and to maximize the impact of Upstream efforts. The ideal candidate profile would combine deep sector expertise and knowledge of one or more of the priority areas, with a strong investing/ financing skill-set.
Role & Responsibilities :
The role and responsibilities of the position will include but not be limited to:
- Identify and assess Upstream opportunities based on country and sector strategies and potential to create sizeable and transformational investment opportunities and new markets.
- Engage with private and public sector clients and the market to originate, create and implement early-stage engagements (project development, transaction development, sector and policy work linked to investment opportunities) that ultimately result in sizeable investment and financing opportunities for IFC.
- Take ownership of a specific thematic area for the MAS Asia Upstream team and originate and execute Upstream projects which lead to opportunities for IFC investment and financing.
- Spot game-changing trends, technologies and business models that can bring solutions to emerging markets.
- Develop feasibility studies and implementation plans for Upstream projects that lead to IFC investments. Lead preparation of analysis/ supervise financial modelling/ development of contractual arrangements for Upstream mandates/ contractual arrangements for bankable investments.
- Drive the development and structuring of investable/ bankable business models taking into account the key risks from an investor's/ financier's perspective and developing robust risk mitigation approaches.
- Produce regular reports on the assigned Upstream portfolio including monitoring progress against project milestones and KPIs.
- Conduct sector-specific data analysis and stress-testing of various operating models to help generate ideas for new projects, new products and platform businesses.
- Work with the World Bank to identify and help implement sector and regulatory reforms that are needed to unlock opportunities for private investment.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and form partnerships with staff across IFC and the World Bank Group, sponsors, clients and other external parties to enable delivery of Upstream projects.
- Facilitate knowledge flow across IFC and the World Bank Group and promote adoption of new approaches and best practices.
- Help build external recognition of IFC's distinctive capabilities in working Upstream to catalyze greater flow of investment opportunities in the sector.
- Mentor junior staff working on Upstream activities.
Master's degree or equivalent professional qualification in Business, Finance, Economics, International Relations, Science, Engineering, or other relevant field.
- At least 12-15 years of relevant experience in one or more of the following fields: technical and commercial consulting on investment projects, industry (in-house strategic functions/ corporate development/ corporate venture capital/ investment and financing), principal investment, project or corporate finance, private equity, hands-on strategic and project or corporate advisory and consulting..
- Deep understanding of investments and financings (debt and equity, project and corporate finance) in Asian emerging markets.
- Deep experience in the development of investment projects and/ or bankable transactions in one or more of the following sectors: manufacturing, decarbonisation, real estate and warehousing, climate investments, logistics, sustainable mobility/ electric vehicles, circular economy, e-commerce and/ or related sectors.
- Experience in assessing potential investment and financing opportunities, planning client engagements, pre-feasibility and feasibility work and other project development activities in order to take a concept/ idea to financial close.
- Experience in preparation of term sheets, contracts, structuring key agreements and key commercial terms to ensure project bankability.
- Financial analysis, modelling, powerpoint, contract negotiation and other fundamental investment execution skills – the individual will be expected to lead, guide and oversee necessary analysis underpinning the business case and be responsible for ensuring the outcome is well-articulated, well-presented in a clear and impactful manner to drive the desired outcome with the intended audience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Ability to draft clear and concise written memoranda for internal and external purposes.
- Genuine commitment to development and to the World Bank Group and IFC's mission, strategy and values.
- Understanding of IFC's strategic priorities and changing business model against the backdrop of IFC 3.0.
- Capacity to innovate and challenge the status quo and a proven track record in new idea generation, business development, and creating projects/programs from scratch.
- Ability to link policy reforms, advisory interventions, investment, and mobilization to deliver solutions at a country level via the Cascade approach.
- Experience in monitoring and reporting on a portfolio of projects/programs/initiatives.
- Outstanding analytical and critical thinking skills; demonstrated ability to synthetize complex information and make concrete strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Excellent people skills, openness to feedback, new ideas, and ability to guide, and motivate others.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English.
- Preferred: strong written and verbal communications skills in an Asian language.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
This is how cinfo can support you in the application process for this specific position:
- Before you apply for this position: Improve your application documents by registering for a Job Application Support.
- When invited to the interview: Prepare for the interview by registering for a Job Application Support.
For Swiss nationals who are invited to an interview or assessment center:
- Please let us know so that we can inform our HR partners from the respective organisation and the Swiss Government: [email protected]
- Benefit from free interview preparation by registering for a Job Application Support.
Interested in a career with multilateral institutions? Read more:
Working with the United Nations
Working with International Financial Institutions
For Swiss nationals
Expiry date: 03/06/2022
Type of contract: Staff (Permanent and Fixed Term)
Macro-area: South / East Asia and Pacific
Level of experience: Senior Professional, more than 5 years
Area of work: Banking and Finance
Type of organisation: Multilateral Organisations